I know I say I try not to get hung up on the numbers, but I'll admit it, I was a little disappointed today.
Three months ago Jonathan hit the A1c target of 9.0% he was given two months prior to that. At that same visit in February, he was given a new target of 8.5% for our May visit. Looking at all the data we've collected over the past 90 or so days, I thought for sure he was going to come in under that… not so... 8.7% today. The nurses were thrilled and reminded me that for a 4 year-old the "gold standard", as they put it, is anywhere between 8.5%-9.0%. The Doctor on the other hand seems to be of the same opinion I am - almost… but not quite. I'm not entirely convinced that these tests are confined to a 90 day period - I've seen some indications in my reading that it's more like 120 days which means what was going on since his 9.4% in November is still in play.
On the up side, his trend is downward which is a good thing. We’ll be going back mid-August for his next check-up and I think we're in a better position to get that 8 1/2. We're leaving his meal ratios alone for now, but we're going to try out a new correction scale. Currently his standard correction scale is >15.0 = +1ū, >20.0 = +2ū, >25.0 = +3ū, >30.0 = +4ū, and his night time and school lunch corrections are, >15.0 = +1ū, >20.0 = +1.5ū, >25.0 = +2.5ū, >30.0 = +3.5ū, just to be on the safe side. We decided this morning to max out the capability of his pen for corrections at home (anything other than school lunch) by using a 1/2 unit scale. We're going to start at ≥13.0 = +0.5ū and add 0.5ū for every 2.0 more (ex. 15 = 1, 17 = 1.5…) and see how that goes. I'd really like to hit 8.0%, but as long as the number keeps dropping I'll be good with that.
We talked again about pumping and they insist that we're already doing all of the data collecting and analysis to enable us to easily transition over however, for some reason I'm still stuck on getting past the 1 year mark first. That and I know I need to spend some time to do serious research on the options available. I did find out though that omnipod is not available in Canada - our clinic had 1 patient on it, but they went to Michigan to get it and paid all the expenses out of pocket. I still have some concerns about pumping, but I think it's likely we'll go that way in the near future. I told them that if they have a pump with a CGMS that will send readings and error codes to my Blackberry and I can send instruction to the pump, then I'm on board. I'm still concerned about infection at infusion sites and issues with insulin being prevented from making it to his body (kink, crack, etc…), but I have more of an open mind about it, especially after reading about some of my friends' pumping experiences (gotta love DOC) and I have little doubt that we'll at least give it a try.
Other than that, he's gained a couple pounds and grown almost an inch, still riding the 75th%ile curve. He's had a little morning cough but that seems to come and go on allergy days since we don't give him anything for that. All in all, not too shabby :)